Links 22-31 March 2011
April 2nd, 2012
On still on the road, posting slow, but there’s a lot more stuff I’m putting up on Twitter.
- The Polite Conference Rooms Where Liberties Are Saved and Lost | Common Dreams
Important piece on Obama admin restrictions on freedom of expression.
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood nominates presidential candidate – The Washington Post
- BBC News – Syria crisis: Clashes spill over Lebanese border
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Egypt | The Brotherhood’s engineer
Detailed profile of Khairat al-Shater by Amira Howeidy.
- For the light to come back
Great post on security reform by Sandmonkey.
- Rethinking U.S. Relations with a Changing Egypt
Michele Dunne [PDF]
- Shaping Ennahda’s Re-Election strategy – By Erik Churchill | The Middle East Channel
“three principles – spend big, marginalize opponents, and blame others for failures”
- FRIDE – Islamist-led foreign policies: what implications?
“it will be economy, not ideology, that will rule the Mediterranean in the coming years”
- America’s Pakistan | MERIP
A review of recent lit.
- Erdogan’s Decade
- Egyptian Copts call for ‘Brotherhood’ of their own – Ahram Online
- Le Figaro : Alger: les autorités ne tolèrent plus les débits de boissons
- Yusuf Al-Qaradawi and Political Opportunism | Al Akhbar English
AbuKhalil says he’s a “cleric for hire.”
- Islamists and Arab constitutions: Put faith in writing | The Economist
- Al-Akhbar: Musa al-Sadr Died in Libya in Early 2000s
- The Copts’ case for supporting Aboul Fotouh
Interesting argument – I like the no. 1 reason is about Shater.
- On Run, Bin Laden Had 4 Children and 5 Houses, a Wife Says – NYTimes.com
NYTimes: On the Run, Bin Laden Had 4 Children and 5 Houses, a Wife Says // Some fascinating details here.
- Newt Gingrich: Just a flesh wound | The Economist
“One thing we can say for sure about the American masses is that they do not want a President Gingrich”
- Egyptian army takes on Islamists to retain power | Reuters
- This is not 1954 | Egypt Independent
- ‘Nose job’ MP files complaint against belly dancer who says she’s his wife | Egypt Independent
- ??????? ?? ???? ???????? ???? ????? ??????? ??????? – YouTube
RT @SultanAlQassemi: Zeinab Abul-Magd exposes the economic empire of Egypt’s military on ON TV tonight Arabic video …
- Enabling Egypt’s Military Rulers – NYTimes.com
RT @elijahzarwan: Enabling #Egypt’s Military Rulers: NYT vs US military aid.
- Souvenirs, Souvenirs… | Manifesta Journal
Khaled Fahmy on Alexandria.
- Military junta takes strike-breaking into its own hands
good reporting by jano charbel.
- FEATURE-Politics stymie Gulf’s hope of sharing Qatari gas | Reuters
Want to understand intra-GCC politics? Read this great piece on natural gas demand and supply in the GCC. Amazing stuff
- Egypt’s military ruler, Tantawi, lashes out at Muslim Brotherhood criticisms
- The final List of constituent assembly
- An Arab Citizen – ????? ????: Why I Feel Disappointed By Egypt’s New Constituent Assembly
- Islamists dominate Egypt’s constituent assembly – Ahram Online
List of names.
- Turkey blames Syria for supporting Kurdish rebels, inches closer to military action – Haaretz
- U.S. Department of State, U.S. Support for Egypt
Spokesman statement on aid waiver.
- Boston Review — Madawi Al-Rasheed: No Saudi Spring
Focus on the al-Sauds hold on economy.
- Comment | Bombs Away: What Will It Take to Avoid War with Iran? – Tehran Bureau | FRONTLINE | PBS
- Ground water ‘may run out in 55 years’ – The National
By then they’ll have nuclear desalinization plants right?
- Syrian refugees stranded on Syria-Jordan borders – ANSAMed.it
- On the Apparent Coup in Mali | Sahel Blog
A great blog on an under-covered region.
- Private Eye | Official Site
Incredibly chuffed to be quoted in this piece about Fisk.
- Blocking internet pornography a priority for telecom minister | Egypt Independent
- Saudi Arabia pushing Bahrain to solve crisis, fears Syria effect | Reuters
- Former UN Atom Agency Chief: Attack Can’t Stop Iran Nuclear Program – Tehran Bureau | FRONTLINE | PBS
- Despair and Continuity | MERIP
Josh Stacher’s dark take on the resumption of US aid to Egypt.
- Jadaliyya Launches Maghreb Page
- PA committee agrees to annul article 6 of military judicial law – DNE
re: referring civs to mil court.
- STRATEGIC BREADTH AND DEPTH: AN ONLINE SYMPOSIUM ON TURKISH FOREIGN POLICY
- The violent struggle for power in Syria
Report by German think-tank SWP. [PDF]
- Midnight for the SCAF’s Cinderella Story – By Nathan J. Brown