Links 24-30 June 2012
July 1st, 2012
Slow week as I was traveling and then recovering from traveling.
New tumblog on Middle East art and more.
- Constitutions as Peace Treaties: A Cautionary Tale for the Arab Spring – ARD
- WPR Article | In Saudi Arabia, Need for Stability Makes Continuity Likely
Nathan Field on KSA post-Nayef.
- The “hareem” of the new Egyptian Constitution | Egypt Independent
- How the Army Won Egypt’s Election – NYTimes.com
Disagree with, but do read Josh Stacher’s take.
- Saudi Professor Faces Charges After Fighting for Free Speech – Al-Monitor
- Morsi, SCAF and the revolutionary left « 3arabawy
- Stephens: Who Lost Egypt? – WSJ.com
Terrible oped in so many ways.
- Silent Complicity: The International Community and Algeria’s Democratic Façade
Brian Entelis (PDF)
Bassam Haddad on Fouad Ajami.
- Morsi Meter – ???? ????
Not only a great idea, but elegant too.
- Egypt’s Morsi to take presidential oath of office before Constitutional Court – Ahram Online
- An Egyptian Everywoman in the Presidential Palace – NYTimes.com
- Morsi’s uncertain powers to be tested by Egypt’s experiment – The National
My latest column.
- Syria: A Russian Perspective – Sada
It’s about the world order, stupid – v. interesting.
- Abbasseya detainees call on Morsy to pardon military prisoners | Egypt Independent
- Business in Beirut: Levantine laggard | The Economist
- In Egypt, There Will Be No Unity Without Compromise – Room for Debate – NYTimes.com
- Mohamed Morsi Will Have His Hands Full Uniting a Deeply Divided Egypt – The Daily Beast
- “Please God. Please make it stop.” | natasha smith
Awful account of an Egyptian mass-sexual assault. Pure nightmarish horror movie stuff.
- Morsi Must Rise to Challenge Of Inspiring a Divided Egypt – Al-Monitor
- La grande corruption règne en maître au Maroc
- Covering Up – By Ahmed Al Omran | Foreign Policy
On top female Saudi official’s veil.
- .: CairoGossip :.
Galabiya party to “celebrate” Morsi at Amici bar. #facepalm
- Nayef’s demise: Relief for the Brothers? | Egypt Independent
- Mubarak’s sons in shock at Morsi victory: MENA – Ahram Online